Originally, the brick Federal building was a modest tenant house on a nearby farm and modernization through the years was minimal. The beautiful ash floors, the woodwork, the doors and hardware and many built-in cabinets have survived. There is an original traveler's room in the upstairs where weary guests were invited to stay overnight. The traveler's room could only be accessed from an outside stairway which is still visible.
Built as early as 1795, the Federal house once stood on Ironworks Pike in Scott County. The house was moved in April 1971 to make way for a new subdivision (Ironworks Estates) to its present location near Midway, in Woodford County. The original wings were restored by Jim Cogar (former curator at Shaker Village in Harrodsburg). Mr. Cogar was also the first president and curator at Colonial Williamsburg, VA. With an addition to the rear of the main house, it made it a beautiful 9-room country estate. Thus, the new name of Scottwood, reflects both the old and the new locations.